Looking for a job is never easy. Whether you have just graduated or you are in search of a better rewarding occupation, there are myriads hurdles to cross. The fact that thousands of graduates are joining the job market every day makes your job search even trickier.
Moreover, globalization has internationalized the job market and you have to compete with job seekers from across the globe. But that is not all; the economy is still in the doldrums which means industries all over the world are downsizing.
Glimmer of Hope in Part-time Gigs
Luckily, it is not all gloom in the job market especially for older job seekers. You can leverage on part time jobs to supplement your income. There are myriad opportunities available especially online. Millions of people are using the internet to make money from the comfort of their homes even as they hold on to their main jobs.
However, you must know how to venture into this opportunity rich market. Here are some ideas to help you navigate the market:
- Assess your skills: You cannot move into part time gigs without knowing what you can offer employers. Sometimes your skills will not even be those gained in school; for instance some people are born writers yet they have trained as engineers. In essence, you have to decide what you want to do.
- Consider your employer needs: You can only work part time if your current job allows it. For instance if you are working 9-5 it means you have the whole evening to yourself. An online marketing gig in this case can be ideal. You should never let your part time work conflict with your job.
- Update your resume: This is where job manager platforms such as validatejob come in handy. Your resume needs to highlight latest skills and experience in the industry you are targeting. For instance, if you want to write on technology issues make sure you indicate your experience in the industry.
- Start online: This is the best platform to locate part time engagements. A simple search will reveal major portals where these jobs are available and all you have to do is visit them. Make sure you sign up on these platforms in order to get alerts when opportunities arise.
- Networking: If you are working in a particular industry, ensure you interact with other professionals. Multiple professional platforms such as LinkedIn enable this. It is thus very easy to get part-time work such as consultancy among other options.
- Honesty: When writing your marketing materials such as the resume and online profiles, make sure you indicate you have another job. This makes it easier for potential employers to decide whether they can work effectively with you. Failure to indicate this will later raise questions on integrity.
There is no denying that searching for a job is a daunting affair. However, you can start by venturing the opportunity rich part-time jobs market. You will have the opportunity to make income even as you improve your working profile for future job searches.