For those who are entering into the world of SEO or just have entered into this world wonder about How Google use to rank the websites, how to make your site number one on the list of search results for specific keywords and I am sure that you have heard of the terms related to this like site optimization, page authority, page rank etc and the most important SEO.
So, what exactly the term SEO means:
The SEO is a wide term which refers to the practice or process of increasing the traffic to website by the means of organic search engines listings. The basic and the major objective of search engine optimization is to improve a website in such a way that it appears on the first page of search results.
Since SEO is a wider or a broader concept, so it involves many other terms which one must be familiar with so as to understand the SEO in a proper way. Some of the basic terms used in SEO are defined below:
- Authority: This is something which is rewarded to your website if your site is user friendly and is filled with informational content of high quality. This makes your site more credible and a trusted source to extract or gain information. In short, Site authority is determined by :
- Quality of website content
- Relevancy of the links and the content
- Range of the content
- How long the domain has been in existence
- Its credibility among other websites in the same industry.
- Anchor text: It is a set of words in the content of article, page or post that links to other pages, providing more information to the visitors. It is important to link those words to the relevant content, if you really want to raise the ranking of the website. Besides this, the words or the phrases must occur in the article in natural way and must also be relevant to your site.
- Bounce rate: Bounce rate are such instances, when visitors go to your site and skips back immediately. This shows that the information present on your website might be irrelevant or not be meaningful. The higher the bounce rate, the lower will be the ranking of website in search results and vice versa. Therefore it is necessary to add relevant information in your website.
- Conversion rate: It is the percentage of the users who visit your site and perform a certain action like sales, completion of forms, downloads, news letter subscription etc. The higher the conversion rate, the higher will be the ROI (return on investment)
- Backlinks: The links from other websites to your website are known as backlinks. In a nutshell, they are incoming links which do not include your links that directs to other pages of your website. Backlinks are very important and are encouraged as they help to build the authority of your website, especially if the websites linking to your website are also authority sites.
- Keywords: These are those words or phrases that people enter in search column of search engines with the hope to get the relevant information regarding what they are looking for. Once the user press the enter key after entering the keywords or phrases, the search engines crawls the web to give the user the most relevant information according to the keywords.
- Page Rank: Page rank is a numerical grading given by Google to web page on the basis of web page quality, relevancy and authority.
- Search engine result Page: It is the list of the links of those sites which the search engines found to be more relevant for the search or inquiry any person have made. Google places the most relevant sites at the top of search results in a page. SEO is a way to get on the top of search engine result pages.
Image courtesy of [Stuart Miles] / FreeDigitalPhotos.net